FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What can I expect to find on emplaw.co.uk?
There are two main types of content, namely law guides know as 'cards' and case summaries. In addition there are related services such as the Emplaw Monthly Update, topical articles and the ‘Find a Lawyer’ function on the website which lists employment law practitioners.
Case Summaries include our database 1000's of cases which is updated monthly to include the cases reported in Emplaw Monthly.
There are hundreds of Law Cards, which include Topic Specific law cards and Reference law cards - For more information on these, please see the relevant section below.
What if I have forgotten my password?
Go to login screen and, without logging in, click the tab- Request new password.
Enter either your user name or email address and you will be emailed a link to reset the password.
There are various ways to find the information you need from Emplaw Online:
The Search bar
For content in case summaries and in all the law cards, simply enter relevant words into the 'Search' box, located at the top of every page.
Ø If you are looking for a specific phrase, putting it in speech marks e.g. “Minimum Wage Regulations” will pinpoint the search.
Ø When searching for Case Summaries, you can omit the 'vs.'
Ø You can filter results by content type and by year.
A-Z Indices for Law card and Case Summaries
The Law Guide
To find content specific guides, click on the relevant topic in the list of Topic Specific Law cards on the Law Guide page and the cards in that section will be listed. Click on the one you want.
Finding content on an opened page
- When you have opened a law card, the contents will be listed on the right hand side. Click on any item listed and you will be taken to that section in the body of the card
- Most browsers allow you to use Ctrl+F to find specific words in the text which will then be highlighted.
- Related Cards are also listed on the right hand side of each law card, below the list of contents. Click on any Related Card and you will be taken to that card which may be on any area of the site.
What are Topic specific law cards?
These are law cards relevant to one or more of the 20 topics listed below and divided for convenience into 3 sections broadly reflecting the chronology of the employment relationship from pre-employment, through to employment right and termination issues. Many subjects have 'Key cards' which are useful overview cards. The Topic Specific cards are listed on the Law Guide page of the site and are as follows:
Recruitment, employment and types of worker
- Codes of Practice
- Categories of Worker & Working Relationships
- Contracts of Employment
- Equality Act 2010 & Discrimination
- Social Security
Rights at Work
- Rights at Work: General
- Pay, Remuneration & Benefits
- Health & Safety at Work
- Consultation with Employees
- Data Protection & Freedom of Information
- Working Time, Holidays & Time off Work
- Trade Union Matters, Associations etc.
- Maternity & Parental Rights, Flexible Working
Ending the employment relationship and post-employment issues
- Settlement if Disputes
- Termination of Employment
- Unfair Dismissal
- Enforcement: Employment Tribunals etc.
What are Reference law cards?
These are general reference law cards and are divided into
- Statutory Limits for benefits and awards
- Abbreviations, Definitions and Interpretation
- Statues and Regulations
- Applicability of European Law
- Bills before Parlaiment (this is a link)
How do I subscribe to emplaw online?
The easiest way is to click the ‘ Subscribe’ tab where there is more information available and you will be taken through the process. Payment is taken by the PayPal banking service which takes all main credit and debit cards. You do not need to have a PayPal account to use this facility. Alternatively, you can choose to pay by bank transfer or cheque. Do email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any queries.