Data Protection & Freedom of Information/key card
- This card represents the law pre-GDPR implementation and is being updated but for up-to-date information please see our summary GDPR card here
- Data Protection Act 1998 (“DPA”) establishes a framework of rights and duties which are designed to safeguard personal data.
- The Information Commissioner has issued guidance to employers in the form of an Employment Practices Code
- Employers need to be particularly aware of the issues involved in monitoring workers and their health and of the issues involved in the international transfer of data.
- Employers need to consider carefully their policies around retaining employment records
- This card gives an overview of the main obligations and principles under the DPA, the main terms used within the Act and how to respond to data subject access requests. It refers to the Data Protection Directive 2016
- The related cards deal with these matters in more detail