Equality Act 2010 Claims Compensation
- This card deals with compensation for unlawful acts under the Equality Act 2010 before the employment tribunals.
- The principles for the award of compensation in Equality Act cases are slightly different to those for unfair dismissal cases:
- Injury to feelings damages are available (see EA 2010 s 119).
- There is no cap on recoverable damages as in unfair dismissal proceedings.
- Brexit effect - unless otherwise stated, the position in relation to EU legislation and decisions as set out in this card is as it was understood at the end of the transition period on 31st December 2020. For information on the status of EU decisions and legislation as of 31st December 2020 please see Statement on impact of Brexit on Emplaw Online content