Equality Act 2010 & Discrimination: Discrimination key card
- Applicants, employees and former employees head a long list of those protected by the Equality Act 2010;
- The Equality Act 2010 lists nine protected characteristics;
- Main types of claim are direct discrimination, indirect discrimination, harassment and victimisation;
- Indirect discrimination (and direct age discrimination) can be objectively justified;
- Remedies include compensation, declarations and recommendations.
- Brexit effect - unless otherwise stated, the position in relation to EU legislation and decisions as set out in this card is as it was understood at the end of the transition period on 31st December 2020. For information on the status of EU decisions and legislation as of 31st December 2020 please see Statement on impact of Brexit on Emplaw Online content