- Redundancy for the purposes of consultation is simply defined as termination for a reason “not related to the individual concerned.”
- The broader definition of redundancy is set out in a two stage test that flows from ERA 1996 s.139
- Compensation for unfair dismissal is better than for redundancy and so redundancies can often result in unfair dismissal cases.
- An employer does not have to be in a poor financial position to justify making redundancies.
- Re-engagement following a redundancy can negate the redundancy entirely provided it is within a given time frame.