Religion or Belief - Protected Characteristic
- Lack of religion or belief is also protected.
- There are some exceptions to the application of the Act for organised religions.
- Religious freedom is protected but it can be restricted where it encroaches on the rights of others, for example respect for private and family life or freedom of expression.
- There is a great deal of case law on what constitutes a belief for the purposes of protection.
- The Equality Act 2010 allows for wide interpretation in accordance with Article 9 of ECHR.