Shared Parental Leave and Pay
- Up to 52 weeks of Shared Parental Leave is available for eligible mothers, partners (including the child’s father), adopters and intended parents in a surrogacy arrangement.
- Up to 39 weeks of Shared Parental Pay is available.
- An eligible mother must curtail her maternity leave, maternity pay or maternity allowance so that the balance is converted into Shared Parental Leave and/or Pay.
- A mother and her partner can take time off to care for a child together, or a mother can return to work after compulsory maternity leave, allowing her partner to take the remaining leave as Shared Parental Leave.
- Each member of a couple must fulfil an ‘employment and earnings test’ to allow the other to take Shared Parental Leave and/or Pay.