Statutory Maternity Pay and Maternity Allowance
- Statutory maternity pay and maternity allowance are contributory benefits: women who have not made the correct amount of National Insurance Contributions will not be eligible.
- Statutory maternity pay and maternity allowance are payable for 39 weeks.
- The first six weeks of SMP are paid at 90% of the woman’s average weekly earnings. The remaining weeks are paid at a flat rate fixed by regulations ( £148.68 for 2019/20 and £151.20 for 2020/21 ).
- Maternity allowance is available to self-employed women and those who are not eligible for SMP.
- Maternity allowance is payable at either £151.20 (from 6th April 2020) a week or 90% of average weekly earnings (whichever is lower), or at £27 a week for up to 14 weeks for participating spouses or civil partners.