- No prevention from requiring Sunday working in most industries.
- Shops and Betting Shops are the exception.
- Shop and betting shop workers will need to ‘opt in’ to Sunday working and expressly agree to work on a Sunday in order for this to be enforceable.
- Shop and betting shop workers can ‘opt out’ of Sunday working on three months’ notice.
- Opted out shop and betting shop workers cannot be forced to work on a Sunday, or treated to their detriment for refusing to work on a Sunday (including being dismissed).
- Notice of opt out will be reduced to one month if no statutory ‘explanatory statement’ is provided by the employer.
- Requiring work on a Sunday in other sectors could amount to indirect religious discrimination.